October is a fabulous time of year. Louisiana heat finally vacates and one can enjoy leaving windows open and drinking pumpkin tea on the porch – which is my new favorite by the way.
And of course Halloween is approaching so I made some super easy spider cupcakes to help celebrate! These cupcakes are great because they don’t require any fancy equipment or fondant or gum paste. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE my fancy daisy cupcakes, but sometimes I just want to be lazy. Lazy, but still cute of course.
To make these easy spider cupcakes you will need the following ingredients:
- Small cupcakes (cooled)
- Chocolate covered pretzels – I used Flipz
- Mini M&Ms
- Two or three Lifesaver mints (crushed)
- 2 cups of Hersey’s chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream (more if needed to thin ganache)
- I used the recipe HERE by Add a Pinch’s blog. She claims its the best white cake recipe and I’ll concur. You can use any cake recipe, but I purposely made the cupcakes small (only filled the cupcake pan by about 1/2 per cupcake hole) in order to make them look more like a spider body and more proportional to the flipz pretzel legs.
- Using your hands or a knife, break up the chocolate covered pretzels so they can be spider legs (don’t eat them all, even though is super tempting!)
- After the cupcakes have cooled, removed them from their wrapper and flip another cupcake wrapper inside out so the cupcake can sit on top of the wrapper (as my spiders are)
- Melt the chocolate chips with the heavy cream in a double broiler (I use a glass bowl over a pot of hot water) to make chocolate ganache
- Use a spatula to cover each cupcake with ganache. Yes, your fingers may get messy, but who’s complaining about ganache fingers?
- After your cupcakes are covered in ganache add to mini M&Ms to each cupcake as spider eyes
- Next attach your pretzels as spider legs
- Then attach crushed pieces of lifesaver mints as fangs/teeth
There it is easy spider cupcakes. Fabulous for a party, friends or you know… just you and your husband (not that we would eat all of those ourselves ).
Nom nom nom.
I also finally bought a pumpkin for our porch. We are really embracing October – and loving it. Hope you are as well!
Happy spider cupcake making!